Agency Management Systems
A fundamental building block for today’s successful independent insurance agency is a good agency management system that provides a framework for all the necessary business processes. The most effective agencies have maximized the ability to operate as digitally as possible with an agency management system for a variety of reasons:
- Increase productivity
- Reduce duplicate entry
- Improve customer experience
- Quickly access and analyze data
- Organized document storage & retrieval
Selecting an agency management system is another area where it is critical to invest the time and necessary resources to fully investigate your options so you can make sure that you find the one that is the best fit for your agency. As you go through this process, you’ll want to follow these main steps:
- Analyze – Determine your agency’s goals and needs
- Budget – Determine your upfront cost & monthly cost.
- System Review – Execute your agency review plan.
- System Selection – Select the system best suited for your agency.
- Implementation & Training – Design and execute your implementation and training plan.
Agency management systems can range widely in costs for purchases and ongoing monthly fees. While you don’t need to purchase more than you need, it is also advised that you should not skimp on agency management software since it will pay in the long run to operate as electronically and efficiently as possible from the beginning. With this is in mind you want to make sure the system “fits” your agency. There are numerous options available today for agency management systems at varying price points, functionality and options to upgrade down the road if necessary. Some of the key considerations to keep in mind throughout the process are:
- Purchase based on what your agency needs, not what you won’t use
- Understand upgrade costs
- Look for technical support you need
- System security is crucial
- What third party integration do you need?
- Mobile and consumer-facing capabilities
Once you have selected and purchased your new system, you are still not done! The final and crucial step will be to outline a training process for your staff so that you can fully utilize your investment in the management and growth of your agency’s book of business. This is not the place to try and save money as it’s essential that your staff be well-versed and comfortable with the system. Your AMS vendor may offer training options and user groups. There are also qualified consultants that can help your agency with personalized training as well.
The process to find the right agency management system may seem overwhelming but there are resources available to help in this important decision. We have developed a listing of AMS companies that you may want to consider for your agency.